I recent topic on CFGURU about clients who blame the technology rather than trying to diagnose the real problem reminded me of a couple of funny tech support stories I thought I would share where the client has incorrectly blamed ColdFusion/Hosting for their problems.
When is ColdFusion not ColdFusion, when it's PHP of course
I had a client (lets call him Dick) kept complaining that their site had stopped working AGAIN usually telling us there was a server problem and to restart CF as it was broken, every time I checked everything was working fine on the server, cf was working etc. They would never give us any more info about the problem other than that CF was broken.
It eventually turned out that they had got their site redeveloped some time ago in PHP and also moved the hosting elsewhere as well, so not only was it not a CF site, but we were not even hosting it :-)
Every so often we will get another email from them saying they have problems with FTP, email or something, and each time we have to explain that we cannot help as we are not their host. Hopefully one day someone will update their records
2 sites are better than 1
Another client (lets call her Dizzy) emailed us to say that the changes she was making to her site were not showing up and ColdFusion must be broken. Bear in mind that we did not develop her site, so shouldn't be supporting it either really, but i'm such a helpful chap yaknow .
I got her to give me the URL of her admin interface, I logged in saw her changes, made some of my own changes, checked the site and there were the changes, no problems.
I couldn't understand why she couldn't see her changes, I got her to clear her cache, restart browser etc, after many exchanges of emails and phone calls, I eventually got her to send me a screen shot, at which point I noticed that the domain name was totally different to the one she sent me.
It finally transpired there were 2 different domains each hosting an exact copy of the site, one was hosted with us, one was hosted elsewhere.
When she edited her site, she did so on www.domain1.com/admin but then viewed the site on www.domain2.com, why I have no idea, but that was why she couldn't see her changes as she making them on a totally different site.
Unfortunately this happened every time she made changes to her site, she would contact us and we would go through this all over again.